What Is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
Autism is a developmental disorder that impairs the ability to communicate and interact. It impacts the nervous system and severity of symptoms can vary. Early recognition, behavioural therapies and family therapies may reduce symptoms and support development and learning.
• Difficulty with communication
• Difficulty with social interactions
• Repetitive behaviours
• Obsessive interests
WAYS TECHNOLOGY CAN HELP AUTISTIC KIDS
- Mobile applications can help autistic kids build meaningful skills for interacting with others and expressing themselves.
- Some technologies work with smartphones to locate a child at home or school and ensure a child is not wandering into harm’s way.
- Assistive technologies can provide alternative modes of communication as a gateway to self-expression which can significantly improve a child’s quality of life.
- Computers can enable an autistic child become an expert in something they have a specific interest in.
- Mobile apps can help to alleviate anxiety as well as a means of entertainment for example, watching a Youtube video.
- Digital literacy gives autistic kids opportunity to be heard and learn 21st century skills.
A SHort video on autism
Click the PLAY button to watch a short video of how autism spectrum disorder affects us all, especially in Nigeria.
We help autistic kids!